Update on My Reading

It's been a while since I've updated my blog, obviously. I want first to catch up on the books that I've read since the two Kiyosaki books. A partial list (the ones I really enjoyed) is here:


These are not in order, just the way I read them. I've been reading in the Bible for a few months now and I'm about to finish it. It's been, by far, the best book I've read. I didn't think I'd really enjoy the Old Testament but I have. I got started by reading Proverbs for the "business" advice and ended up reading it a number of times. Then I started in the New Testament and completed that. By that time I was hooked and had to read the whole book. (Yes, I had read the Bible before, but not all together, and not completely. And, yes, that should have been first on my list - but I'm correcting that now. As the Japanese proverb says "even a thousand-mile journey begins with the first step.")

As for the others, both books by Dale Carnegie and Think & Grow Rich are classics and have timeless wisdom. The Richest Man in Babylon is written as if it's in the time of the Babylonian empire. I really enjoyed it - and it teaches some basic lessons about money (gold.) Here's an excerpt:

Lo, Money is Plentiful, For Those Who Understand the Simple Rules of Its Acquisition

  1. Start thy purse to fattening
  2. Control thy expenditures
  3. Make thy gold multiply
  4. Guard thy treasures from loss
  5. Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment
  6. Insure a future income
  7. Increase thy ability to earn

The three books by Robert Allen were also very good. I read Creating Wealth first, then went on to Multiple Streams of Internet Income. I just got around to Multiple Streams of Income lately. I went to see Robert and Richard Paul Evans in Atlanta a few months back. I really enjoyed these books and they gave me a lot of ideas for diversifying my income. As it turned out, it was not such a good idea to do them all at once. (More on that at a later date.)
The 5 Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me, Twelve Pillars and The Art of Influence were all good, easy reads. They are written more like a story than a "how-to" book.
I recommend The Automatic Millionaire to every young couple starting out. I wish that me and Stephanie (oops, I'm not supposed to mention her name) had had this book when we were just married. Again, basic, common sense ideas are given but it is sound advice and will help you if you put them into practice.
There's a link to Amazon for each of the above books, along with a few more, at http://www.max4books.com/ which I use to keep a list of the ones I recommend to folks. You don't have to buy the "new" book, but can find them "used" through the same site.
Quotes:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Of course inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

"No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting." --Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac? He stayed up all night trying to decide if there really was a dog! – Anonymous
Link:
http://www.biblegateway.com/ - A great site for searching the bible, in about any version.
http://www.max4books.com/ - My online book list at Amazon.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Citizenship in a Republic - Theodore Roosevelt

Johnny Earl Maxwell: "Mr W.A. and Mrs. Thelma's Boy"

Happy Birthday SSM