Leadership Training & Fractional Retirement

Well, in trying to think about what's happening with me this month, I wanted to point out a couple of things. First, we started a Leadership Training process at work. This involved an evaluation of each manager by every other manager and the rest of the employees at Maxwell Engineering. Tim Broadwall, of Broadwell Consulting, is doing the evaluation and training. We had our first session last week and it went very well. I'm looking forward to learning all that Tim can teach us. I just hope that we can put it into action.

I don't know if it was during this process or before, but I was looking at some websites of organizations who sold fractional ownership of vacation getaways. This got me to thinking that, first, I needed a vacation and, second, that I'd like to own something like this. Well, by the time I looked at the prices, I figured that I could just spend the amount they wanted for annual dues and we could go on a vacation to whatever place we wanted each year. The best thing to come out of my research time on this was that I came up with the term, Fractional Retirement. I'll define it as taking off more during the year (my goal is 3 or 4 weeks a year) and going somewhere or doing something "retirement-like" at least once a month. I figure that I'll never really retire 100% from working so this is the next best thing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Our first outing was to Asheville, NC to visit the Biltmore Mansion. This place is enormous and decadent. I can think of better ways to spend the millions of dollars that built that place but it was worth seeing once. The time with the family was worth it though. One of my fondest memories of childhood was the family vacations. It can't be all about work.

Quotes:
All achievement, all earned riches, have their beginning in an idea! - Andrew Carnegie
How to make God laugh. Tell him your future plans. --Woody Allen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Citizenship in a Republic - Theodore Roosevelt

Johnny Earl Maxwell: "Mr W.A. and Mrs. Thelma's Boy"

Happy Birthday SSM